Android Handset Sales Beat iPhone Amid Froyo 2.2 Update Frenzy for Evo, Droid
Aug 02, 2010, 21:37 (3 Talkback[s])
(Other stories by Michelle Megna)
How to Help Your Business Become an AI Early Adopter
"Two separate reports today place sales of Android handsets
ahead of Apple's iPhone for the first time amid a frenzy of Froyo,
or Android 2.2, update news for major smartphones including the Evo
4G and Droid.
"Verizon's Android 2.2 update for the Motorola Droid -- and
perhaps Droid X -- should begin by next week, and news of the
upgrade comes on the heels of Sprint's announcement that Android
2.2, dubbed Froyo, is going to start rolling out tomorrow for the
HTC Evo 4G.
"The Droid, which went on sale amid a marketing blitz by Verizon
last November, was the first smartphone to hit the shelves with
Android 2.0, and recently was upgraded with Eclair, Android 2.1.
And, though the Droid 2 is expected to ship with Froyo on Aug. 12,
right now only the Google-branded Nexus One is running the latest
version of Android 2.2 That will change, however, when the HTC Evo
gets updated tomorrow to version 2.2."
- 10 years on: free software wins, but you have nowhere to install it(Aug 02, 2010)
- 'Unhackable' Android can be hacked, Black Hat researchers say(Jul 31, 2010)
- New controller chip sets stage for color e-readers(Jul 30, 2010)
- In Search Of... Android Tablets(Jul 30, 2010)
- MeeGo Selected as Platform to Power In-Vehicle Infotainment Devices(Jul 30, 2010)
- Android vs iPhone vs Palm Pre vs Maemo: which is best?(Jul 29, 2010)
- Kmart touts $150 Android tablet(Jul 28, 2010)
- Mobile Tools: Android Vs. iPhone for Small Business(Jul 26, 2010)