Ubuntu 10.10: Maverick Meerkat Benchmarked And Reviewed
Nov 01, 2010, 07:02 (1 Talkback[s])
(Other stories by Adam Overa)
Desktop-as-a-Service Designed for Any Cloud ? Nutanix Frame
[ Thanks to LordDCLXVI for this link.
"In a perfect storm of timing and marketing, Ubuntu
10.10 (Maverick Meerkat) was released on 10/10/10 at 10:10:10 GMT.
101010 is, by the way, binary for 42. And of course, 42 is the
answer to the meaning of life, according to the mega-supercomputer
in Douglas Adam's classic science-fiction novel, The Hitchhiker's
Guide To The Galaxy. Slick coincidence aside, we're somewhat
dubious that Canonical's Linux distribution (distro) will bring
fulfillment to our mundane existence--especially not one released
"We always look forward to Ubuntu's April releases. Over the
past few years, we've seen one great .04 version after another.
Ubuntu 8.04 LTS (Hardy Heron) was one of the most hassle-free Linux
distributions to launch, and as an LTS, it was supported for three
years (it still is). With Hardy, Canonical built a great foundation
for its emerging consumer-friendly Linux distro. In April of '09
Ubuntu 9.04 (Jaunty Jackalope) burst onto the scene with an overall
snappy feel and unprecedented boot times. This past April,
Canonical unleashed the current LTS, Ubuntu 10.04 LTS (Lucid Lynx).
This release was a major hit. It's rock-solid, and the
totally-revamped theme is still a league apart from any other Linux
- Get a Feel of Firefox 4 in Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat(Oct 31, 2010)
- How To Make An Ubuntu 10.10 Desktop Resemble A Mac (With Elementary, Docky & Glo(Oct 29, 2010)
- Innovative Nautilus Location Bar Mockup by DanRabbit(Oct 29, 2010)
- Hope for the Future(Oct 28, 2010)
- Linux Virtualization Performance Of Ubuntu 8.04 LTS Through Ubuntu 10.10(Oct 26, 2010)
- Preview: Linux Mint 10 "Julia" GNOME RC(Oct 25, 2010)
- Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat: One Hit, One Miss(Oct 23, 2010)
- My Ubuntu 10.10 upgrade double-whammy(Oct 23, 2010)