"What's this 'DEEE-bee-en' you write about?" Or will Linux ever make its move on the desktop?
Dec 22, 2010, 15:02 (8 Talkback[s])
(Other stories by Steven Rosenberg)
Full Text Search: The Key to Better Natural Language Queries for NoSQL in Node.js
"The entries in this blog flow through my Twitter and Facebook
feeds, and once in awhile a friend of mine who has nothing to do
with the open-source software world wonders what the hell I'm
"Just this weekend, somebody asked me, "What's this
'DEEE-bee-en' you write about?" Would the question be any different
with the word "Ubuntu" in there?
"I don't think so. When it comes to desktop Linux (not to
mention BSD, which is even further in the geek ghetto), nobody
knows what we're talking about.
"I'm as guilty as the next "journalist/blogger/fanboy" of
preaching to the pulpit and writing about Linux and BSD geekery for
Linux and BSD geeks.
"I don't see a whole lot of writing out there, even about Ubuntu
(which in my view is the highest-profile Linux distribution by
far), that aims at the unconverted, the Windows or Mac user who
doesn't even know there's a third (through 300th) way."
- Interesting kernel exploit posted(Dec 08, 2010)
- Goodbye Fedora, welcome back Debian, Part 2: Review of Debian Squeeze(Dec 03, 2010)
- Goodbye Fedora, welcome back Debian, Part 1(Dec 02, 2010)
- What's really going on with Ubuntu Unity(Oct 27, 2010)
- Hole in Linux kernel provides root rights(Oct 22, 2010)
- Debian Live is getting better all the time(Oct 20, 2010)
- OpenBSD 4.7 and 4.8 on Lenovo G555 update - bringing alc0 to life(Oct 12, 2010)
- The question is, 'Should I try OpenBSD/FreeBSD?'(Oct 07, 2010)