China builds own phone OS, aims to be more secure than Android or iPhone
Jan 21, 2014, 11:00 (0 Talkback[s])
Full Text Search: The Key to Better Natural Language Queries for NoSQL in Node.js
China, wary of operating systems from the Western world, has built a new smartphone OS that it believes will be more secure than the likes of Android and the iPhone. While China claims it as its own, the OS looks like it's based on Android.
China Operating System, or COS, was unveiled last week by the Chinese Academy of Sciences and the Shanghai-based Liantong Network Communications Technology, the New York Times reported. COS is "designed for use on many devices including smartphones and personal computers" and was called "a strategic product for national security," the Times said. US surveillance and the end of support for Windows XP reportedly played a role in the system's creation. Liantong Deputy GM Chen Feili said the ultimate goal is to make COS China's main operating system.
- Android smartwatch smackdown!(Oct 31, 2011)
Ubuntu running Google Android. Does it matter?(May 27, 2009)
- First Android Phone?(Jan 09, 2008)
- Google has forked Android(Jan 27, 2011)
- The dirty little secret about Google Android(Aug 23, 2010)
- Why Microsoft Loves Google Android, Take 2(Dec 24, 2007)
- The great Ars Android interface shootout(Jul 24, 2013)
- Android's (quiet) killer feature(Jan 31, 2013)
- Android shines as a mobile platform(Feb 11, 2013)