LinuxDevices.com: Whitepaper: Making a Business of Open Source
Jun 21, 2000, 16:55 (0 Talkback[s])
(Other stories by Kevin Morgan)
Desktop-as-a-Service Designed for Any Cloud ? Nutanix Frame
[ Thanks to LinuxDevices.com for this link.
"Today, a growing number of companies vies for the attention of
embedded systems developers seeking to build and deploy on Linux.
Which are going to grow, thrive, and eventually lead the industry?
Which technologies, licensing practices, business models and market
forces will determine the leaders?"
"The use of Linux as an embedded systems platform represents a
major change in the technologies and economies of building embedded
applications. The power of Linux as an operating system, and the
new types of business models for licensing, represent a marked
change from "business as usual" practices that have dominated
embedded design for the last 20 years."
"This article reviews the strengths of the Linux open
source, royalty-free business model, and why it is the most
appropriate model for the future of embedded systems design and
- PRNewswire: Lineo Expands European Presence...(Jun 21, 2000)
- LinuxDevices.com: Lucent spinoff releases Inferno OS source(Jun 20, 2000)
- PRNewswire: Compaq Ports Linux to iPAQ Handheld Computer(Jun 20, 2000)
- CNET News.com: Intel aims to simplify Linux for Net devices(Jun 16, 2000)
- ZDNet: Linux: Live in your living room(Jun 15, 2000)
- LinuxDevices.com: Red Hat makes another embedded Linux acquisition(Jun 15, 2000)
- LinuxDevices.com: New real-time Linux common API available for download(Jun 14, 2000)
- LinuxDevices.com: Lineo proclaims unity of RTLinux and RTAI -- sort of(Jun 13, 2000)
- LinuxDevices.com: Lineo dons real-time battle dress(Jun 13, 2000)
- The Register: Transmeta to hit 1GHz by year-end(Jun 12, 2000)
- LinuxDevices.com: GNU telephony server project (Bayonne) hits 3rd Milestone(Jun 11, 2000)
- The Register: Acer takes Transmeta punt(Jun 10, 2000)
- Linux Orbit: VTech's Helio PDA to Run Linux(Jun 09, 2000)