VNU Net: Dell, Red Hat team up to push Linux
Jun 21, 2000, 22:26 (0 Talkback[s])
(Other stories by John Geralds)
Desktop-as-a-Service Designed for Any Cloud ? Nutanix Frame
By John Geralds, VNU
Dell has given Linux a boost by naming it as the company's third
strategic operating system after Windows and Novell's Netware.
Dell and Linux vendor Red Hat yesterday announced a joint
initiative, called the One Source Alliance, which aims to speed up
commercial acceptance of the open source operating system and meet
the growing demand for Linux-based systems for web-based
Michael Lambert, senior vice president of Dell's enterprise
systems group, said: "We've seen considerable growth to the Linux
operating system." Dell plans to broaden its support for Red Hat
Linux, he added.
Lambert claimed that Dell's range of PowerEdge and PowerAPP
servers based on Linux, Windows and Netware will enable the company
to address more than 80 per cent of the total server operating
environments by 2003.
"Linux is our Unix offering and we are working together with
Red Hat to capitalise on the enormous market opportunity for the
internet infrastructure build-out," he said.
Dell will initially deliver Linux on Intel's IA-32 architecture
but will work with Red Hat to migrate Linux into higher-end
Lambert said Dell's adoption of Red Hat Linux would allow the
company to compete directly with Sun Microsystems' Solaris
Dell plans to train its support staff to provide technical aid
for the operating software and software testing at three US
Matthew Szulik, Red Hat chief executive officer, said: "To have
it on equal footing with Windows NT is a great move."
Both Dell and Red Hat also promised to use each other's products
internally. Red Hat will use Dell PowerEdge servers and Dell
Precision workstations, and Dell will implement Red Hat Linux
in certain areas of its IT manufacturing facilities.
- Information Week: Dell Digs Deeper Into Linux(Jun 21, 2000)
- Smart Partner: Not Just Another Linux Partnership - Dell and Red Hat form strategic alliance(Jun 21, 2000)
- TechWeb: Dell To Pre-Install Red Hat Linux On Servers(Jun 21, 2000)
- CNET News.com: Dell expands Linux commitment with Red Hat deal(Jun 21, 2000)
- Forbes: For Dell, Linux Is As Strategic As Windows(Jun 21, 2000)
- LinuxPR: Dell Selects Linux As Third Strategic, Global Operating System(Jun 21, 2000)
- LinuxPR: Dell and Red Hat Speed Up The Web For All U.S. Toyota and Lexus Dealers(Jun 21, 2000)
- LinuxPR: Dell and Red Hat Form 'One Source Alliance' For Linux Systems and Services(Jun 21, 2000)
- LinuxMall.com: Dell Cries Beowulf(Jun 14, 2000)
- PRNewswire: Dell Leads $20 Million Strategic Investment Round in VMware(May 25, 2000)
- LinuxMalll.com: Dell Firm in IA-64 Support as Distributions Vie for Developers(May 20, 2000)