EETimes: Linux prepares for embedded real-time usage
Aug 21, 2000, 00:59 (0 Talkback[s])
(Other stories by Charles J. Murray)
Desktop-as-a-Service Designed for Any Cloud ? Nutanix Frame
"Software suppliers at the LinuxWorld Conference and Expo this
past week rolled out products aimed at embedded applications
ranging from set-top boxes to cellular phones to flight simulators.
Their goal is to rival embedded OS vendors such as Wind River
and QNX, while providing an alternative to thousands of engineers
who now write proprietary embedded operating systems. More
important, some Linux vendors aim to bring real-time performance to
applications where determinism is crucial."
"Two Linux vendors displayed real-time embedded operating
systems at the LinuxWorld show. Lineo Inc. (Lindon, Utah) unveiled
Embedix RealTime, a development environment for creating "hard
real-time" capabilities. And MontaVista Software Inc. (Sunnyvale,
Calif.) showed the MontaVista Real Time Scheduler, also said to
offer hard-real-time performance. "
"Lynx RTOS developer LynuxWorks Inc. (San Jose, Calif.),
meanwhile, rolled its BlueCat Linux version 3.0, which leverages
Linux's flexibility and reliability but forgoes real-time
operation, for which LynuxWorks believes Linux is not well-suited.
And a group of Linux software developers announced that they are
teaming with some of the computer industry's heaviest hitters to
create a suite of products designed to rival Microsoft Office."
- Upside: Monta Vista plays its own game(Aug 09, 2000)
- LinuxMall.com: PowerPC Gets Real Time Prom Date [w/Oncore Embedded OS](Jun 10, 2000)
- WideOpenNews: Embedded Linux Looking Lively(May 03, 2000)
- VNU Net: Unmodified Linux to run in embedded realtime systems [Oncore Systems microkernel](Apr 30, 2000)
- VNU Net: Linux to go live with realtime interface(Apr 21, 2000)
- Linux Programming: Real-Time Programming Under Linux, Pt. 2(Apr 07, 2000)
- Linux Programming: A Primer for Soft Real-Time Programming with Linux: Part 1(Apr 05, 2000)
- LinuxDevices.com: Whitepaper: KURT -- a Real-Time Linux(Mar 25, 2000)
- VNU Net: TimeSys to develop real-time Linux(Mar 09, 2000)