Forbes: Novell, Silicon Graphics Were Made for Each Other
Sep 06, 2000, 15:14 (5 Talkback[s])
(Other stories by David Einstein)
Re-Imagining Linux Platforms to Meet the Needs of Cloud Service Providers
"Here's a suggestion: Novell and Silicon Graphics should merge.
That way, we'd have to worry about just one big tech company that's
taking longer to die than Generalissimo Franco."
"Think of the synergies! Novell's networking software has been
trampled by competition--mainly Microsoft'd Windows NT and, more
recently, Linux. Silicon Graphics has a similarly sad tale on the
hardware side. Its workstations and servers have been ground to
dust in the market by IBM, Sun Microsystems and
"There sure isn't much to toast right now. SGI is trying
mightily to stage a turnaround under Bob Bishop, a board member who
took over as chief executive a year ago in August when Rick
Belluzzo jumped ship to join Microsoft. Bishop has jettisoned
several divisions and sold the moneylosing Cray supercomputer
operation. The company has refocused on its strengths--technical
computing and graphics--while placing a sizable bet on Linux.
Whether Bishop's moves will pay off remains to be seen. SGI lost
$608 million in its latest quarter."
- Reuters/Yahoo!: SGI chairman woos India, praises Linux(Sep 04, 2000)
- eWeek: Novell plans massive layoffs(Sep 01, 2000)
- LinuxPlanet: Editor's Note: It's Raining Hardware in Portland(Aug 31, 2000)
- Ch@nnelWeb: CRN Interview: Bob Bishop [SGI Chairman/CEO](Aug 28, 2000)
- CNET News.com: SGI chief executive trying to cure past ills(Aug 24, 2000)
- VNU Net: Open source NetWare compatible OS unveiled ['Manos,' from Timpanogas](Aug 22, 2000)
- PC Quest: Emulating Netware on Linux(Aug 19, 2000)
- VNU Net: Novell lays out masterplan for NetWare(Aug 18, 2000)
- ZDNet UK: NEC, Intel and SGI show off 64-bit prototypes(Aug 17, 2000)
- The Register: SGI frees OpenGL brand to Linux coders(Aug 16, 2000)
- LinuxPlanet: Test Suite Heralds SGI's Growing Involvement with Linux(Aug 13, 2000)
- ZDNet: Are Noorda's boys back?(Aug 04, 2000)