eWeek: Zona survey finds aggressive Linux deployments planned
Nov 09, 2000, 17:24 (8 Talkback[s])
(Other stories by Peter Galli)
Re-Imagining Linux Platforms to Meet the Needs of Cloud Service Providers
"The most aggressive expansion plans for Linux deployments will
come from small companies and large organizations over the next
year, according to a new research report from Zona Research Inc.
The report, released late Wednesday, follows a Zona study
deployed via the Web in September that involved 109 IT
professionals with purchase authority for Internet connectivity,
application development tools and server software."
"It found that more than half of the large enterprise
respondents expected increases of up to 25 percent in the number of
Linux users in their firm, while nearly one-fifth expected
increases of more than 50 percent. Among small-company
representatives, more than one-third felt Linux usage would expand
by 50 percent or more."
"The report, entitled "The New Religion: Linux and Open Source,"
also found that more than half of the respondents currently use
Linux servers for e-mail, file and print services, intranet
connection servers, standard Web servers and firewalls. Some 38
percent of respondents use it as a database server, while 21
percent use it for e-commerce applications."
- Windows 2000 'not ready for web servers'; Linux becoming most secure OS - Gartner(Nov 07, 2000)
- Enterprise Linux Today: The New Religion: Linux and Open Source(Nov 02, 2000)
- The Register: Linux Growth Rate Slows in Japan(Oct 30, 2000)
- AsiaBizTech: Linux Seen Winning Nearly 8 Percent of Japan's Server OS
Market in 2000(Oct 30, 2000)
- Heise.de: Linux/Windows: Trend to operating system oligopoly (in German)(Oct 21, 2000)
- IT-Analysis: IBM surfs the Linux tidal wave; Linux surging in Germany(Oct 20, 2000)
- Ch@nnelWeb: Operating Platforms: Linux Faces Uphill Struggle - IDC(Oct 17, 2000)
- Enterprise Linux Today: Linux suffers, but prospects look good - Gartner(Oct 17, 2000)
- LinuxWorld.com.au: IDC forecasts strong growth for Linux(Oct 17, 2000)
- Enterprise Linux Today: IDC outlines server market trends(Sep 29, 2000)
- Fairfax IT (Australia): Linux to top growth as NT keeps cash cow status - Salomon Smith Barney(Sep 13, 2000)
- O'Reilly Network: Linux/UNIX Server Market Share Beats NT/Win2K(Aug 12, 2000)
- InfoWorld: Linux fueling server growth(Jul 26, 2000)
- The Register: Linux server growth threatens MS revenue supply(Jul 25, 2000)