CNET News.com: Sun moves up on IBM in server sales - IDC
Dec 14, 2000, 15:14 (4 Talkback[s])
(Other stories by Stephen Shankland)
Desktop-as-a-Service Designed for Any Cloud ? Nutanix Frame
"The server market increased 12 percent in the third quarter, to
$15.4 billion, with Sun Microsystems advancing over two competitors
to take second place overall, a study released Wednesday said.
IBM's $3.2 billion in server revenue for the third quarter of 2000
kept it at the top of the list, but Big Blue actually lost 2
percent of the share it had in the third quarter of 1999, said
market research firm IDC."
"Systems based on the Linux operating system and
rack-mountable servers grew much faster than the overall server
sector, IDC said. Linux server sales increased 178 percent from the
third quarter of 1999 to the third quarter of 2000, while
rack-mountable server sales grew 400 percent."
"In the high-end segment--servers costing $1 million or
more--Sun was at the top of the list, selling 723 in the quarter.
IBM sold 370... While Sun sold nearly twice as many high-end
systems, IBM charged more. It had $922 million in high-end revenue,
while Sun reaped only $750 million."
- The Register: Sun is top dog in Unix market - IDC(Dec 14, 2000)
- Enterprise Linux Today: Worldwide Server Revenues Jump 12% From 3Q99 to 3Q00, IDC Says(Dec 14, 2000)
- VNU Net: Sun bitten by Shark and penguin; Telia goes with mainframe Linux(Dec 11, 2000)
- Enterprise Linux Today: Sun Microsystems Completes Acquisition Of Cobalt Networks(Dec 09, 2000)
- The Register: The VAX of Life: Sun's cluster guru talks Full Moon(Dec 08, 2000)
- Enterprise Linux Today: Monster Linux Mainframe Ousts 70 Suns in Europe's Largest Linux Deployment(Dec 07, 2000)
- eWeek: Sun acquires storage specialist HighGround; an open source move?(Dec 06, 2000)
- The Register: Sun makes Solaris source available
(Dec 05, 2000)
- The Register: Inside Sun's new clusters; little competition for Linux?(Dec 04, 2000)
- CNET News.com: Sun's Zander: Linux will fragment(Nov 27, 2000)
- SearchEnterpriseLinux.com: Sun warms up to Linux(Nov 22, 2000)
- In Context: Sun's "Linux Strategy" -- What Is It?(Sep 28, 2000)