Raging Bull: Has Linux Bubble Burst?
Jan 17, 2001, 15:28 (53 Talkback[s])
(Other stories by Chet Dembeck)
Desktop-as-a-Service Designed for Any Cloud ? Nutanix Frame
"...I think itâ€™s extremely important to
revisit, reexamine and reevaluate one of the fair-haired segments
of last year: companies touting various versions of the Linux
operating system. Last year this sector had all the drama and
glamour of a Hollywood flick, as Linus Tovalds, the Finnish native
who helped create this free UNIX-based operating system, got almost
as much press as Bill Gates."
"From the investorâ€™s point of view, the
Linux picture has been nothing short of disastrous. For example,
share value in the once-mighty Red Hat has plummeted from its
52-week high of $148 to around $7 per share. Similarly, VALinux
share price has fallen from a 52-week high of $179.25 to about $7
per share. Meanwhile, Caldera - which never reached the heights of
its two rivals-is selling at about $2 per share, far off its
52-week high of $33 per share."
"This brings me to what I think is the fatal flaw in the
promulgation of the Linux operating system: lack of profit motive
up and down the distribution food chain. If the often vilified Bill
Gates proved one thing by making Windows the most-widely used
operating system in the world it is this: profit motivates.
Put another way: money talks and bull excrement walks."
- SearchEnterpriseLinux: Linux: Four [big Unix vendor] weddings and a funeral stock market(Dec 28, 2000)
- CBS Marketwatch: Linux stocks surge with IBM backing(Dec 14, 2000)
- CNET News.com: Red Hat shares climb on earnings optimism(Dec 13, 2000)
- SmartMoney.com: Stock Watch: Linux at a Crossroads(Nov 18, 2000)
- ShowMeLinux.com: Investors are Woozy from Linux Stock(Aug 03, 2000)
- Enterprise Linux Today: Stocktalklive.com - A Business Case for Linux(Jul 17, 2000)
- ZDNet: Has the Linux bubble burst?(Jun 02, 2000)
- ZDNet UK: Linux stocks go from famous to forgotten(May 26, 2000)
- Salon: After the fall [VA Linux and Red Hat stock slump](Apr 28, 2000)
- PC Computing: Dirty Little Secret [about Internet IPO Bubble](Feb 15, 2000)
- The Guardian: Could the Gates bubble burst?(Nov 19, 1998)