CNET News.com: Compaq adds Steeleye clustering software to Linux servers
Jan 30, 2001, 08:30 (1 Talkback[s])
(Other stories by Stephen Shankland)
Re-Imagining Linux Platforms to Meet the Needs of Cloud Service Providers
"Clustering software lets one computer take over for another
automatically if the primary machine fails. SteelEye's software
extends this "failover" ability to include some higher-end Compaq
storage devices as well, said Boris Geller, SteelEye's vice
president of marketing."
"Clustering is a key high-end software feature required before
some customers entrust important tasks to Linux machines.
Clustering has been available for years on Unix systems, Microsoft
is gradually improving its offerings, and Linux companies such as
Red Hat, Caldera Systems, Turbolinux and Mission Critical Linux are
working to improve their own Linux clustering options."
"Compaq, though, has its own NonStop clustering software product
derived from the extensive high-end Unix, OpenVMS and Tandem
computer lines. Eventually, Compaq will make this software
available for Linux as well, said Judy Chavis, manager of Compaq's
Linux Program Office."
"The clustering deal with SteelEye certifies that software will
run on Compaq's Intel-based ProLiant servers, Chavis said. In the
future, Compaq will evaluate options for pre-installing the
software or setting up ties with Compaq computer resellers to make
the software a more standard option."
- Enterprise Linux Today: Steeleye, Linux NetworX Team On Linux Cluster High Availability Failover(Jan 24, 2001)
- Enterprise Linux Today: Steeleye Delivers High Availability for MySQL on Linux(Dec 20, 2000)
- Inter@ctive Week: Penguins Unite; Linux Clustering Advances(Nov 09, 2000)
- Enterprise Linux Today: SteelEye to Showcase Enterprise-Class Reliability Solutions at Intel Exchange(Oct 12, 2000)
- Enterprise Linux Today: SteelEye to Feature Reliability for SAP, Oracle & Apache Enterprise Software(Oct 04, 2000)
- PRNewswire: SteelEye Now Provides Premium 24x7 Online Help Desk Supporting LifeKeeper for Linux(Aug 10, 2000)
- PRNewswire: SteelEye Delivers Highly Available Web Server Solution for Apache Users(Aug 01, 2000)
- NetworkWorld: SteelEye safeguards Linux servers(Jul 06, 2000)
- PRNewswire: SteelEye Announces General Availability of LifeKeeper for Linux(Jun 27, 2000)