UPDATED: fc.com: Netraverse, Producers of Win4Lin, Lays Off All But Five Employees
Aug 20, 2001, 18:07 (27 Talkback[s])
(Other stories by Tina Gasperson)
Re-Imagining Linux Platforms to Meet the Needs of Cloud Service Providers
Consider the source, and consider a comment further down the
linked page, but fc.com is reporting that Netraverse, responsible
for the Win4Lin product, which allows users to run Windows apps on
their Linux machines, has laid of 45 of its 50 employees.
A poster on the linked board had this to say:
"According to a Netraverse employee, there are 18
people on the payroll (mostly engineers and support people) plus 4
more working on commission."
Complete Story [ fc.com's comment boards are about as
profane and unpleasant as ever. -ed. ]
NewsForge has since contacted the CTO of Netraverse, Morgan
Jones, who says things aren't as bleak as fc.com indicates:
"I've traced the source of those rumors," says Jones.
"I believe they are coming from a competitor." Jones refused to
identify which competitor is spreading the rumors. He says that
NeTraverse has been very careful to maintain good relationships
with those employees it's had to let go. "We tried to let everyone
down as easily as possible. We've had to be very selective in who
we kept. Some of those who were laid off were very good employees.
We want to be able to ask them to come back when things get
In response to investors' concerns about the profitability of
the company, NeTraverse management ended up letting go about 60% of
the former staff of 50 people. "We have 22 employees as of today,"
says Jones. "We made cuts across the board, including at the
management level, but have maintained our engineering and customer
- Linux-World Danmark: NeTraverse Win4Lin 3.0 Review(Jun 25, 2001)
- NeTraverse Announces Availability of Win4Lin 3.0(May 31, 2001)
- Red Hat and Netraverse Partner: RH to Support Win4Lin Kernel Modifications(May 23, 2001)
- Geeknews: Linux 4 Windows? Whats [sic] the point?(Apr 19, 2001)
- LinuxPR: NeTraverse Announces the Release Of Win4Lin 3.0
(Apr 03, 2001)
- NetworkComputing.com: Win4Lin: A Linux Thin-Client Alternative Tackles the Giant
(Mar 24, 2001)
- Linux.com: An End to Your Windows Woes(Mar 21, 2001)
- IBM developerWorks: Running Windows applications cheaply under Linux with Win4Lin(Mar 17, 2001)
- LinuxPlanet: Running Windows Apps on Linux: Put Away the WINE(Mar 12, 2001)
- LinuxPlanet: Win4Lin: Running Windows Applications under Linux(Jan 29, 2001)