Linux Today: Linux News On Internet Time.

ASUS Linux insult will be Intel and Dell's gain

May 28, 2009, 16:03 (5 Talkback[s])
(Other stories by David M Williams)

"ASUS spokeswoman Linda Vo told me ASUS only sold 5% of their netbooks with Linux, the other 95% being Windows-based. To my surprise, she also said that ASUS only submitted a Windows option to DET.

"While I had previously wanted to ensure DET had been fair and unbiased in their evaluation, I was left with the view that no serious Linux contender was actually submitted to consider.

"In my opinion, this is to the netbook makers' shame. A Linux-based netbook has compelling advantages in terms of high performance, a far lower risk of virus or malware infections, a rich suite of available software applications, and no licensing fee among other aspects.

"By submitting yet another Windows option ASUS could not claim to have any of these distinctive features. Instead, the software platform became irrelevant and the tender simply came down to hardware."

Complete Story

Related Stories: