Linux Foundation pitches Linux for free netbooks from mobile carriers
Jul 01, 2009, 14:02 (0 Talkback[s])
(Other stories by Owen Fletcher)
Full Text Search: The Key to Better Natural Language Queries for NoSQL in Node.js
[ Thanks to stonyandcher for this link.
"The move by carriers to sell netbooks at a discount
and seek revenue from later application downloads is an opportunity
for Linux, Jim Zemlin, executive director of the Linux Foundation,
said at a Beijing forum. He urged Chinese and global companies to
consider offering devices and download stores based on Linux.
"But while Linux has some advantages, user habits and slim
software offerings on the operating system mean Windows will
continue to dominate on netbooks in the near term, said Jack Gold,
an analyst at J. Gold Associates."
- How much do desktops matter?(Jun 20, 2009)
- IBM expects Linux to make money(Jun 12, 2009)
- Open Voices Interview with Bob Sutor, IBM(Jun 11, 2009)
- The Week of the Linux Desktop(Jun 07, 2009)
- Taiwan and Computex seek ways out of their box(Jun 04, 2009)
- Canola Project's GPLv3 Permissions are Worth a Look(Jun 04, 2009)
- What is linux.com trying to achieve?(Jun 04, 2009)
- Linux.com Goes Live - For the Community, and By the Community(May 13, 2009)
- Linux certifications: Hot or not?(May 13, 2009)
- Open Source 2009: It's the Economy, Stupid. Or is it?(Apr 16, 2009)