VMware's Novell SUSE Linux buy out runs into a snag
Sep 23, 2010, 23:03 (0 Talkback[s])
(Other stories by Steven J. Vaughan-Nichols)
Re-Imagining Linux Platforms to Meet the Needs of Cloud Service Providers
[ Thanks to Steven J.
Vaughan-Nichols for this link. ]
"There's no doubt about it. VMware wants to buy
Novell's SUSE Linux and open-source divisions. But, according to a
Reuters report, Novell's board really wants to sell NetWare and the
identity management divisions at the same time, and no one wants to
pay serious money for them.
"In addition, I've heard that other companies are interested in
buying Novell's SUSE Linux business. VMware may yet find itself in
a Linux bidding war.
"I haven't heard any names. Or, to be more exact, I haven't
heard any names that I think are likely to be serious bidders. Jay
Lyman, the open-source analyst for The 451 Group, thinks VMware
remains among the likely candidates, as does IBM or CA." He doesn't
think Oracle will be in the mix."
- Radical Innovation is needed for GNU/Linux distributions(Sep 23, 2010)
- A developer looks at VMware/Novell(Sep 22, 2010)
Server OS Landscape Rolls With the Punches(Sep 21, 2010)
- SCO v. Novell, Day 6, Monday, March 15, 2010 - as text(Sep 17, 2010)
- Novell’s Patents Are Complicating Its Sale(Sep 17, 2010)
- VMware, Novell to Dance Server Virtualization Tango(Sep 17, 2010)
- VMware is buying Novell(Sep 17, 2010)