Setting Up A Spam-Proof Home Email Server (Debian Squeeze)
May 18, 2011, 18:02 (2 Talkback[s])
(Other stories by guestwriter)
How to Help Your Business Become an AI Early Adopter
[ Thanks to Falko
Timme for this link. ]
"Email spam is a huge problem. I have found for myself quite a
simple solution, however it'll take some time to 'migrate'
completely over to it.
"The solution is to create a unique email address everytime I
have to give an email address to someone else or to some website to
sign up. If I want an account at twitter, I'd use
'www.twitter.com@MYDOMAIN.COM'. For webbased services, I use the
full domain name incl. subdomain (www) on the left of the @ (some
poorly designed websites do not recognizes the www. as valid email
address, for those I just leave it away).
"For people I use a format like that:
'email.john.doe@MYDOMAIN.COM'. You could also use like
'from.john.doe@MYDOMAIN.COM'. The good thing is, the left side of
the @ for email addresses is almost 'unlimited'.
"Because I generate unique email addresses for every contact, I
can easily find out where my email address got leaked and then I
can easily remove it.
"This howto will set up a full functioning email server with
according scripts to make easy email management. It includes also
the DNS setup part - even if you are on a dynamic address - e.g. if
you want to run your own little mailserver from home."
- Goodbye MS Exchange: Good Linux Email Servers(Feb 23, 2011)
- Wanted: Virtual Personal Email Servers, obviously made with Free Software(May 28, 2010)
- How to check if your email server looks like a spam source(May 16, 2010)
- How To Relay Email On A Postfix Server(Dec 22, 2009)
- CentOS 4.6 Server Setup: LAMP, Email, DNS, FTP, ISPConfig (a.k.a. The Perfect Server)(Jan 10, 2008)
- Fedora 8 Server Setup: LAMP, Email, DNS, FTP, ISPConfig (a.k.a. The Perfect Server)(Nov 13, 2007)
- Retrieving Emails From Remote Servers With getmail (Debian Etch)(Jun 19, 2007)
- TheHostingNews.com: NOD32 Antivirus for Linux Benefits Web Hosting and Email Servers(Feb 13, 2006)