Webopedia Term of the Day: What is Software Defined Data Center?
Sep 29, 2012, 18:00 (3 Talkback[s])
(Other stories by Vangie Beal)
No-Size-Fits-All! An Application-Down Approach for Your Cloud Transformation
Software-defined data center (SDDC) is the phrase used to refer to a data center where all infrastructure is virtualized and delivered as a service. Control of the data center is automated by software – meaning hardware configuration is maintained through intelligent software systems. This is in contrast to traditional data centers where the infrastructure is typically defined by hardware and devices.
The software-defined data center is considered by many to be the next step in the evolution of virtualization and cloud computing as it provides a solution to support both legacy enterprise applications and new cloud services.
According to Torsten Volk, EMA, there are three core components of the software-defined data center: network virtualization, server virtualization and storage virtualization. A business logic layer is also required to translate application requirements, SLAs, policies and cost considerations. (Source: EMA Blogs; The Software-Defined Datacenter: Core Components)
SDDC is a relatively new computing phrase, but a number of vendors have announced software-defined datacenter products, including the VMware vCloud Suite.
The phrase software-defined data center (SDDC) was coined by VMware's CTO, Dr. Steve Herrod.
- Webopedia Term of the Day: What is SUSE Linux Enterprise(Sep 22, 2012)
- Webopedia Term of the Day: What is Juju?(Aug 20, 2012)
- Webopedia Term of the Day: femtocell(Apr 02, 2009)
- Webopedia Term of the Day: Legacy Network(Sep 09, 2009)
- Webopedia IT Term of the Day: What is BYOD?(Mar 30, 2012)
- Webopedia Term of the Day: Tomato firmware(Jun 25, 2009)
- Webopedia New Term of the Day: What is Consumerization of IT?(Feb 29, 2012)
- Webopedia term of the day: Recursive acronym(Jul 06, 2010)
- Webopedia TOTD: Open Source Tools Defined(Jun 11, 2010)
- Webopedia Term of the Day: What is Sabily?(May 19, 2011)
- Webopedia Term of the Day: What is Unity?(Oct 25, 2011)
- Webopedia Term of the Day: What is Chromebook?(Jul 08, 2011)