The Linux Command Line Shell Roundup
Nov 09, 2011, 21:02 (1 Talkback[s])
(Other stories by Brett Johansen)
[ Thanks to Linux-news for this link.
"The tcsh shell is csh compatible, but has a bunch more nerdy
features like auto-spelling correction, scheduling the time when
you want to execute a command, and command line editing. This all
sounds great, but for some reason, tcsh didn't catch on.
"The korn shell, created by David Korn is sh compatible, but had
a bunch of C shell features. The korn shell is sort of the best of
sh and tcsh in one package. It is the default shell on some
"The bash shell (Bourne again shell) was created by the FSF
(Free Software Foundation and the GNU Project). Bash is fully sh
compatible and has many csh features as well. Bash comes default on
many distros as well."
- Command Substitution in a Bash Shell Script(Feb 08, 2011)
- Linux Command Sequences in the Bash Shell(Dec 10, 2010)
- Practical Guide to Linux Commands, Editors, and Shell Programming(Jan 01, 2010)
- The Linux Command Shell For Beginners: What is The Shell?(Dec 22, 2008)
- Save Time at the Command Line With Shell Aliases and Functions(Sep 16, 2008)
- Bash Shell: Take Control of PS1, PS2, PS3, PS4 and PROMPT_COMMAND(Sep 12, 2008)
- Using Grep To Streamline Your Shell And Command Line Scripting(Aug 08, 2008)
- SearchOpenSource: Shell Game: Managing Bash Command History(Sep 07, 2006)